Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

I just finished a DVR of Glenn Beck. WOW!!! John Huntsman was his guest. Do you know who John Huntsman is? His company invented the egg carton, McDonalds Big-Mac container, the plastic bowl, fork, spoon, etc. He is a self made BILLIONAIRE. He founded the Huntsman Cancer center in Utah. He was one member of President Nixon's cabinent that refused to participate in any questionable dealings. He is the only person who wasn't summonds for questioning once the water gate scandal broke. His character spoke that loudly. He will die BROKE because he plans on giving ALL his money to fund charities once he has passed. I couldn't help but feel his spirit as he spoke. I felt his humility, his goodness. His words inspired me to ACT! The final thought he left the viewers with was, "When you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God". Did I mention he is a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints?
On a scale of 1-10 (1 being totally self absorbed, never thinking of others and doing anything to "get ahead" in the world and 10 being Mother Teresa-imperfect but yet a saint) I consider myself at a 5. I was taught by my parents to serve others, share my abundance (how little or large that may be),work hard, better the community i reside in and be honest regardless of the consequences. BUT i find myself bogged down by the natural tendencies of man. I do want to have nice things, I spend ALOT of time doing things for myself (this goes above and beyond maintaining my physical, spiritual and emotional well being. it's plain ol' selfishness), I am quick to judge others and the list goes on. So here is my challenge to myself and to you, if you want to jump on board- Lose myself in the service of others. Every day for the next year I will complete an act of service for someone. I'm sure on some days the act will be as little as a smile but i sure hope on other days i will have enough courage to serve big. I don't think the question is, WILL a year of daily service change my life rather HOW will my life be changed from this adventure. I can't wait to find out.

1 comment:

Tiffani said...

I haven't watched that episode...I have been meaning to watch it online at Fox News. (I wish I had cable tv! - just not willing to pay...how much is it a month anyway?)

Way to go on setting a goal of service. I have just decided that I want to set a goal of attending the temple weekly - that will be huge for me since I was a once-a-monther!