Saturday, January 30, 2010

Spirit teaching

I enrolled in another semester of postive parenting, taught by the amazing Carlene Tanner. I love this class and I love the teacher. Her spirit teaches my spirit concepts that I am unable to learn anywhere else. Since I have been a parent (10 1/2 years) I have read a lot, and I mean a lot, of parenting books. I have taken other parenting classes. I have even paid for professional counseling. NOT because I have abnormal children BUT because I am just anal like that. I assumed that if I did a "perfect" job parenting than the process would yield "perfect" children. And just in case you are wondering....my definition of "perfect" is just that....MY definition. In my world "perfect" children don't waste their time playing video games or watching television- rather they immerse themselves in service to others and reading out of great books. Perfect children use manners at all times and in all places....get my drift? What planet am I from?????Geesh! Here are just a few tidbits my spirit has learned from Sis. Tanner-thanks to my companion, the Holy Ghost.
1. I am far from perfect- and my children are still good inspite of that.
2. The atonment accounts for imperfections- accept that gift and quit trying to fly solo.
3. Heavenly Father loves me BUT not everything is about me. quinn and kiddos will make mistakes for their own growth NOT to make my life miserable.
4. If I want to reside in the Celestial Kingdom I need to act like a Celestial being. The Celestial Kingdom probably doesn't have room for some one who nags, critisizes, demands, etc.
5. TEACH(spend the time and make the effort) correct principles and let children govern themselves.
6. Encourage instead of Praise- that's a biggy
and last but not least............remember.........."this too shall pass". Although I can't imagine my life in any other future stage I need to remember time will pass and enjoy the moment.

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

I love class, too! Now I just need to get out the CD's I bought from her and be reminded "how to" parent!

Jody said...

Those are some great insights. Tiffani arranged for her to speak at an enrichment once and she did a great job. I missed seeing you at book club!