Saturday, December 20, 2008

Testing Testing......

Trey is supposed to visit the pediatric allergist every six months to see if he is still allergic to the allergens he was allergic to prior, which is pretty much everything,(wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts,shellfish, cats and dogs, horses, etc). This visit is NOT covered by insurance and costs about $350. Since I am so cheap I thought I would just expose Trey to tiny amounts of food containing the above allergens and if he broke out in hives, vomitted or stopped breathing we would know his allergies were still intact and I would save $350. Of course I AM KIDDING. However, it just so happens that the above scenerio occurred inadvertently the other day. See we were shopping at Costco and all the yummy samples were strategically place at the end of almost every isle. I was quickly whisking by so Trey wouldn't spy a single bite and then BAM we were caught in a cart jam, as often happens in Costco, right in front of the veggie burger sample table. Veggie burger- can't be too bad, right. I let my guard down and allowed Trey to partake of the small sample before checking the ingredient label. As he chowed down on the tiny morsel of veggie burger I quickly scanned the nutritional information. UH-OH! eggs, wheat and dairy (LESSON #1-never feed him ANYTHING before checking nutritional info). I quickly swiped his mouth removing what was left of the unswallowed sample but I knew I was too late. He was already swelling up and itching like crazy. Where was my benedryl (LESSON #2-never, never leave home without the benedryl). Obviously we dashed to the car and headed home. As I glanced in the rearview mirror I could see Trey wasn't looking good. And then it happened. Yup you guessed it-vomit all over. Poor little guy. I had mixed emotions about the vomit. I was grateful because he was able to discharge the morsel of veggie burger and his swelling went down after that. But then there was the cleaning up part that's not so much fun.
So to conclude the results of my unscientific, accidental test.....YES Trey still suffers from those pesky allergies.

2 comments:

Marne said...

Oh poor Trey. What a challenge Ami. Hopefully he outgrows it!

Torrie said...

Poor guy. Maybe the doctor should pay you $350 for doing his job for him.