Sunday, November 2, 2008

I know who I am......

Today in Relief society we discussed how knowing we are divine daughters of God can assist us in navigating through this life. As I pondered that question I kept thinking about the 10k race I ran, October 25th. I trained for the race and felt prepared going into the event. Miles 1-3 were easy for me. Mile 4, I hit a wall. My legs started to ache, my breathing began to labor and I really just wanted to stop and walk. I kept telling myself, "you're a runner- you can do this. you are prepared- DON'T STOP!". I slowed my pace but kept running. Mile 5 my legs stared to loosen up again and I fell into a rhythm. Once I hit mile 6 I felt strong and was able to pick up my pace. When I crossed the finish line I was so proud of myself. Not only had I ran the whole distance I had also accomplished my goal of running 10 minute miles. The belief that I was a runner kept me running through mile 4, even though I was desperate to walk. My life has been littered with "mile 4's". I have caved into temptation and spiritually walked, even stopped, when I needed to stay running. Fortunately through the sacrifice of the Savior and His atonement I can repent of my mistakes, continue "training", for the "10k" of life and prepare myself to more successfully endure "mile 4's" -running the whole time even when I want to walk. The knowledge and belief that I am a child of God, with divine nature will keep me strong when I want to be weak. I hope that when I cross the finish line of life and meet my Savior that both He and I will be proud of me.

1 comment:

Sarah Pearl said...

awesome analogy, ami! it's so true. you're a great example...