Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dollar Diet Day 18 & 19

Day 18 was almost a shop free day until Quinn's brother and nephew came for a visit and I wanted to cook them dinner so they didn't go out and dine on junk. Since I wasn't prepared I had to pay going retail at the store. It was still cheaper than feeding 8 people at McDonald's (even on 1/2 price happy meal day). I purchased 3 pounds of hamburger ($6.00) a cucumber, for the salad ($.99) and some garlic bread to go with the spaghetti dinner ($1.69). I already had the pasta and sauce in my food storage. Grand total $8.69. Oh and dare I forget.....we are heading on a road trip to Seattle (money already budgeted and saved) so NO WAY am I potty training now. I bought diapers for $11.00. Since I am already over my budget anything I spend puts me in the red. This is what I was talking about when I told Michelle Edmonds (channel 6 news anchor) that I nickel and dime myself right over my budget. So I still have some things to learn and that's Ok, right?????
Day 19- I again spent into the red, yet some more- Albertson's was having an amazing deal on fruit snacks. With my coupons and the store catalina and the hot price I purchased 45 boxes of fruit snacks for $12.60 (that's approx. $.28 a box) Obviously I didn't need to purchase 45 boxes at once but I did. I wanted to cross it off my to do list. So now I am a grand total of $37.95 in the red! Those nickels and dimes add up fast. Day 20 & 21 I am officially banning myself from stores. The madness has to stop :).
Recipe for disaster......spending into the red + watching Glenn Beck (and getting totally depressed) = eating a whole box of somoa girl scout cookies by myself (but at least they were free- some kind soul gave them to Quinn). This day can't end soon enough!

4 comments:

Torrie said...

45 boxes of fruit snacks?! You crack me up. :)

Torrie said...

Torrie told me but I didn't believe it unitl I read it with my own eyes. I hope you dont draw my name for Christmas this year, I dont want 9 month-old fruit snacks as a gift. Brent

Shannon said...

45, I bought 75. The way my kids eat them I will be out by the end of summer. Wish I would have run into you at Albertsons. Good job on the diet. I have enjoyed reading your posts. It really does make you think. We really don't NEED a lot of things we buy. I do not know why we think we do. Good luck with the last few days. Stay out of the stores. I am hoping to score some free juice friday morning. If you want to go in the red more maybe I will see you there.

Darcy said...

One of the many things Seattle has on Boise is that there is no sales tax on food! (We only have to pay 9.6% tax on everything else!) So, I got 50 boxes of fruit snacks at 16 cents a piece. I can't believe I only spent $8!

Brent, Christmas is not looking good for you! It's either Ami or me with 9 month old fruit snacks, or Cody or Trevor (no need to say more) :) that will have your name.

Don't worry, with 7 kids at the house at snack time, lunches for 5 kids daily, and the number that I'm sure the kids sneak, we'll be out LONG before Christmas!

I think going in the red when it's for deals like this is makes it okay to make exceptions to the rule.