Wednesday, June 18, 2008

An afternoon in the sun.....

I picked Reece up from school, doused each child in toxic free sunscreen and headed off to the waterpark. On the drive over I lectured Reece and Quincy about being team players and working together (Reece can go off and do everything unsupervised, Quincy can do some rides solo but supervised and Trey must be in arm's reach at all times- am I crazy or WHAT???) Anyway I wanted them to understand that each of us would have to compromise in order to have a pleasant experience. We get to the park, I put the keys in the beach bag. Unload the stroller. Unload Trey into the stroller. Make sure Reece and Quincy made it out of the car. I lock and shut the doors and bend down to pick up our bag- you know the bag with our season passes, towels, toxic free sunscreen, water, my wallet, extra diapers, and KEYS. WAIT!! where's the bag?
Oh @!##$ (darn) it's in the car. I don't panic. I confess to the kids my mistake and we head to the main office to call a locksmith (ls)- because of course the punch code on the outside of the car hasn't been programmed and is useless. I call several ls's, trying to get one there in less than 15 minutes- no go. 30 minutes in the soonest anyone can be there. The park gives us one time admission passes so we can at least get inside, get settled and play in the water until the ls arrives. Just in case you were wondering- YES, we are all in our bathing suits, which of course means Trey is in a swim diaper- you know the diapers that aren't meant to contain pee. Trey starts leaking as we leave the main office. At least Quincy and Reece are still being team players. Upon arriving at the kiddie pool I spot a friend, sob my story and ask her to watch Quincy while I go and meet the ls with Trey. All is well. I get back to the kiddie pool wave to my friend, signaling my return and proceed to play in the water with Trey. I scan the area for Quincy- where's Quincy???? Quincy, Quincy- no Quincy. I talk to the lifeguard- she radios main office. No missing children are being held. Security is on the way. At this point I am cursing myself for being so stupid for buying Season passes- what a waste. Surely, if I survive this day, I am NEVER coming back. Security arrives and guess who else shows up? Quincy. I have no idea where she was or why I didn't see her. She wasn't lost. She was exactly where she was supposed to be.
We did make it through the experience. Everyone, myself included, ended up having a great time. I didn't get any pictures so we have to go back at least one more time, right. :)

I'll be taking the car in to get the outside key pad programmed-

3 comments:

Torrie said...

I'm glad everyone survived. It's days like these that I wonder if it's even worth it to leave the house. But then I see the kids having a great time, oblivious to the stress and I guess it's worth enduring a one-thing-after-another kind of day.

MZB said...

After a day like that you should of come to book club and relaxed. It was so nice to sit out side and chill. We missed you.
The next book prodigal summer by barbara kingslover. Hope to see you next month.

Sarah Pearl said...

Ami, Ami, Ami! I hate it when things like that happen! I recently locked my keys in the car at the library (and my phone, too, of course). After using the library's phone to call a "ls," we sat waiting and waiting on the big rock in front. Lukas had to pee. I was so worried we were going to miss the guy, I didn't want to leave my post. I was like, well, there's this big rock here, let 'er rip! We made it through, though, and who knew someone else in the parking lot locked their keys in their car as well and would have been late to work if the ls hadn't have been called already...I guess good things do come out pathetic experiences sometimes. Like a sensational tan at the water park, right? Hey, you're a GREAT mom for even attempting such feats...I salute you.