Saturday, June 14, 2008

I struggle to wrap my head around these issues

I try to be environmentally conscious but it's not top on my priority list. I find myself being overwhelmed with other challenges like parenting, scripture study, exercising, maintaining sanity, etc. I am not good at taking small steps- I either want to take flying leaps or do nothing. I guess when it comes to "going green" I become paralyzed by the enormity of it all and so choose to do nothing. Not to mention "going green" requires a monetary committment upfront that "experts" say "will pay off later". Well I am reluctant to make an investment that can't be quantified. I want to know when it will pay off and by how much. Nevertheless (my new favorite word that my kids hate because it halts all negotiation, see example below) I can take small steps and do little things to help. I guess if everyone did small things it would make a big impact. I wanted to include two websites I found and highly recommend. Not sure on the stats quoted by Annie Leonard in the story of stuff http://www.storyofstuff.com . That's the tricky thing about statistics-they are hard to verify. The second site, cosmeticsdatabase.org, I found extremely interesting. Call me crazy but I will be tossing my currnet brand of sunscreen (registered a 9 on the website) and purshasing new. I have had my reservations about applying sunscreen but the benefits appear to outweigh the potential side effects so I use it. However, now I that I am more educated I will make better product choices. What do you think?

EXAMPLE:
Nevertheless-it's a great word. Ever notice how often it's used in the Book of Mormon?

Me: "Reece and Quincy it's time for bed".
Kids: "But......." (the stalling tactics just start pouring on) BUT I don't argue- well ok sometimes, when I'm not on top of my game, I argue. BUT most of the time I just say, " Nevertheless, it's time for bed". I just keep saying it and saying it until they get the point. As long as I keep my cool and don't get sucked into debating it's fairly successful.

5 comments:

MZB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MZB said...

I also struggle with these issues. I am slowly getting better. Ps: Love the Helen Reddy song

Sarah Pearl said...

Ami, give yourself some credit--knowing is half the battle! As for the monetary investment, try "green" Winco bags. At only 88 cents a pop with a 6 cent savings each time you use them, they handily pay for themselves after approximately 16 trips. Hows that for quantifying? (I am Winco's new "green" spokeswoman.)

ami said...

Sarah- I don't think I have shopped at Winco for 2 years. It's so inconvenient. You did give me a great idea though- I will make the investment on reusable grocery bags. ok now i am off to buy my kids some toxin free sunscreen.

Sarah Pearl said...

I like to think of Winco more as an inexpensive "adventure" than "inconvenient." Where else do you have such an amazing on-hands shopping experience?! But, if you're looking for another cheap option for reusable bags, they are only $3 for 3 gargantuan-sized totes at Costco. Target sells theirs for $1.99 and they're pretty cute. You know, as in red. Winco will also give you 6 cents for using these bags as well. Let me know about your sunscreen. I'm pretty sure my cause of death will be cancer. Apparently, either from sun exposure or from using so much sunscreen. I'm already fairly frecklified this summer.