Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Did you hear that?

Just a few random thoughts on things I have heard over the last couple of days.
1. Glenn Beck said- and I'm not quoting- just paraphrasing. Until this mess (meaning our finacial crisis) gets sorted out people should cut their discretionary income down to $0! WOW-am I'm up for that challenge? today is day 2 for me and the kids- maybe Quinn too but who knows if he secretly buys a powerade or quarter pounder with cheese while at work. Today I made my kids play-dough AND I made homeade chocolate chip pumpkin muffins that were beyond delicious. I didn't have any muffin papers so I bargained with a friend- she supplies the muffin papers and I'll send over some of the homebaked goodies.
2. My friend was explaining (lecturing) to her 16 year old son why she wouldn't talk to the school about him dropping out of algebra ( a class that has earned him a grade NOT good enough to earn him driving privleges) in the middle of her speech he simply said, " gee mom I hate to take a machete to your intellectual thicket but......." She has no idea of the verbage that followed because she was so taken a back by the first line. Sounds like a pretty smart 16 year old to me.
3. My other friend asked her 4th maybe 5th grade daughter if there was anything that kids at school might be talking about that made her feel uncomfortable or she knew wasn't right. Of course she is expecting the usual answers to follow (sex and swearing). Her daughter said, " ya mom, some of the kids have been talking about POLITICS"! I just had to chuckle at that one. Wouldn't that make a great book......

5 comments:

Marne said...

You mean discretionary spending....yes, I agree. Way to go on going for it!

Sarah Pearl said...

I don't know if I'm up for the challenge or not, but I should have been doing that for the past 3 years....shoot.

kaughtydid said...

Wow-I wonder if Glenn Beck just re-read some of Pres. Hinkley's advice from 10 years ago. =)

Torrie said...

Kids say the darndest things.

Mackenzie said...

Thanks for the post and link to your blog. I love it! I would love to see you when you come up in November. Let me know if you can work us into your schedule! Hopefully I'll see you soon.