Sunday, August 15, 2010

The tipping point......

the tipping point is actually the title of a really good book. the book touches on how "small and purposeful" actions can create huge results. one example the book cites is a study conducted on the new york city, subway, crime rates.  once upon a time, crime was prevalent in new york city. even more so on the subway. have you ever wondered how the city got that rate to plummet? who was the mastermind? according to the author (which i can't recall and am too lazy to go out to the car and get the book) several people and actions were responsible for this phenomenon.A bunch of ordinary people (with extraordinary minds) got together and realized that if they don't get the crime rate under control they are going to have really BIG problems down the road. these folks implemented several small and purposeful solutions (if you want to know more- read the book) which resulted in the crime rate, on the subway, decreasing by double digits. HUGE SUCCESS! so how does the tipping point apply to my life............
well i have a problem. the spirituality in my home is too low. the chaos and contention-too high. if i don't get this under control i will  potentially have some major problems down the road. so what small and purposeful actions can be implemented that might generate some BIG results. 1. limit all and any media time- i'm not saying do away with the computer or x-box or television but what if we limit our exposure to 2 hours total each day. if i get creative the kiddos might not even realize they are missing electronics. 2. increase amount of time spent on spiritual activities- again i am not talking hours and hours but what might happen if we just read 2 more verses in the scriptures each night or for that matter make sure we read faithfully EVERY night. 3. i need to wake-up earlier so i am prepared before the kids stumble out of their beds. - again i think 15 minutes earlier might do the trick.  my hypothesis is that by implementing these 3 small but purposeful strategies i will 1. be able to reduce the chaos and contention and 2. increase the spirituality in my home.  and this might just be the tipping point that put my family on a different path than we are currently walking.

1 comment:

Tiffani said...

Sounds like a great book. I love how you are making choices to implement small changes in your family life. I totally understand the frustrations you are talking about. This year I have made a huge effort to increase the spirit in out home. And because of that I have had to cut out other things that I was doing.

When I attended BYU Women's Conference in May, I was especially touched by Sister Beck's talk. It is a must read. From that I got my new blog name. It has given me more of a purpose and direction as a mother and wife. I highly recommend her talk to every woman!