Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Finding the joy.......

Part 1: One of my many struggles is finding the joy in everyday simple things. I seem to be constantly overwhelmed by the demands placed on me by me. I don't find joy in much when my house is a mess or when laundry is piled to the countertops, or when dishes overtake my kitchen sink, or when my checkbook doesn't balance or when my 2 1/2 year old decides to assert his independence at the most inconvienient time, etc, etc.
Part 2: The quote from Runner's world online. " We are what we repeatedly do", really struck a chord with me today. If I allow myself to be overwhelmed regularly and that robs me from finding the joy in life what kind of person does that make me? An overwhelmed joyless person???? YUK!!!
Part 3: Last weekend I had a horrible run. It was my last 10 mile training run before my half marathon. I kept waiting for the next mile to get better and it never did. Self doubt started creeping in.....was I ready for the 1/2? did I train hard enough? could I really do this? I finished my run and wasted the day being grouchy with anyone who crossed my path.
Summary: I will be someone who loves life inspite of the everyday stuff. I will be someone who trains and completes my goal of running a 1/2 marathon. I will be someone who pushes through the wall when each mile (life) seems unbearable.

2 more days until the big event........until then...........

3 comments:

nina said...

Simon, I love you. I love how you are always overanalyzing yourself. You know you can run the big M, just quit worrying about it and do it. I will be there at the finish line for you, my friend. XOXO, Paula

Sarah Pearl said...

TWO DAYS! woo hoo! I know you can do it and I'm jealous of the rush you'll experience at the finish line of accomplishing that big of a feat. You're prepared physically, and you're mentally strong....go kick some bootie!

amber said...

I know you can DO IT!!!! I am so amazed at all your will power! Good luck, I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning!