Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dollar Diet Day 5



I couldn't put off the costco trip any longer. I wondered if I would be disciplined enough to stay in budget.I took $75 cash with me and kept track of the items that went into my cart.
i needed:
1.fresh fruit- you can't get bananas cheaper. i purchased the red delicious apples vs. the fugi or gala because they were considerably less expensive but pack the same nutritional pucnh. i purchased the case of oranges vs. my favorite (a bag of cuties)because it was cheaper.
2.romaine- can't get it cheaper anywhere else and makes great salads
3.chicken nuggets- some may say this is a want but i have a little guy with severe food allergies (no milk, eggs, or nuts and wheat only sparingly) this is what he eats for lunch.
4.bread- quinn said no more taking chances on homeade bread (see post below)- again because of my little one we buy the more expensive bread as it is egg and milk free.

I wanted but didn't buy all the books-didn't even buy one!
chocolate covered pretzels-
stacy's pita chips
zone power bars
-i finally just stopped looking and went to checkout.
I wanted and did buy:
1. applesauce (or my food storage)
2. case of popcorn (with coupon 32 bags cost $5.65)this is a really and somewhat healthy snack alternative for the kids.
3. Kirkland brand laundry detergent- could have gotten by without it but will need it eventually and didn't want to miss the coupon. it is our preferred detergent.
4. apple juice- could have gotten by with out it but trey (the allergic one, get's tired of water and there was a coupon making it 2 gallons for $4.65).
I told the cashiers about my diet(just in case i had to put something back). They were really supportive.
TOTAL: $74.64
i'm off to buy crest toothpaste at walgreens for $.04-you can too just check these gals out (www.thecrazycouponlady.com)

1 comment:

Angie said...

love the dollar diet-I should try it!! I'm such a couponer...I'm surprised I haven't seen you:)