Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dollar Diet Day 7

Didn't spend anything today! 14 days left. I have learned so much about myself in one short week. Like:
1. i'm such an emotional shopper- spending money really makes me feel better short term- kinda like the chocolate makes me feel better at first but then....when the numbers on the scale start creeping up it's not so good.
2. my "wants" are closely intertwined with my "needs". it feels good to be more conscious of this and more in control of my spending.
3. limits really scare me. i'm not a good dieter for this very reason. i would rather run 25 miles a week and eat whatever i want than limit my caloric intake. once limits are in place i instinctively get "up in arms". i wonder what psychological phenomenon explains that.
4. i really don't "need" much. most of my spending falls into the "want" category.

i'm excited to see where the next two weeks take me.

2 comments:

Marne said...

You are doing great! Remember in 2008 when I tried to not spend any money for a month? Except the money for fresh foods, diapers, etc. I blogged about it. I ended up saving 79% on my grocery budget that month compared to the month before. I made menus, stuck to them and only bought perishables and few necessities. I used my 3 month food storage. I saved a lot in other areas too. It does go to show that you can save a TON if you are disciplined! One reason I try to not go out shopping unless I have to. Then I find myself wanting to spend $$$.

Tiffani said...

Jody told me about your dollar diet - so I had to see what it was all about. She wants to get me on some budgeting system. It is totally my weakness. I consider myself frugal like you, but I'm sure there is always room for improvement.

Way to go! I think I need to eat from my fridge and freezer because they are stuffed. I can't even fit a few items I bought at Albies today!