Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nephi vs. Laman & Lemuel

Today-I rushed through my morning scripture reading, not giving the verses any real thought until this very minute, 10:11 p.m. I am in 1 Nephi 16. You know how you can read the same material over and over and over again yet each time, what you read, can take on a whole new meaning? I have read these verses hundreds of times (specifically because they are found in the front of the book. I guarantee I haven't read Moroni as many times as I have read 1 Nephi). BUT today I was taught something new and I pray that I will be able to fully absorb this tender mercy of the Lord. Here's what I learned for ME today.....
1. Nephi and his family STRUGGLED in the wilderness. Life was HARD. Trials were plentiful. EVEN Nephi, who obeyed the Lord faithfully, almost lost his life, went hungry, experienced death of a loved one and was required to tolerate his family member's continous short comings (all in Chapter 16).
2. Decisions made, by Nephi's family, were based on divine guidance and instruction. HOWEVER all of Nephi's family, at one time, question their choices and fall into the trap of murmuring.
Hum how does this apply to MY life?
Posterity-here is what I want you to know- I have made major personal decisions that have been divinely inspired. These decisions have been reaffirmed more than once and yet when things aren't happening the way I think they should OR when the struggling seems to much OR when my eyes are focused on the big and spacious building- I resort to murmuring exceedingly and questioning my choices. Now who does that sound like? ( L & L). I pray for the strength to be more like Nephi, to have increased faith and trust in the Lord, to be more willing to follow the commandments and to endure my trials with a happier heart. I love the Book of Mormon and the truths that are found in this book. Posterity- if you haven't read this book- READ IT! It will change your life.

p.s. I wonder if the children, who dwelt in the wilderness, went to bed when they were told? It is now 11:07 p.m. and Trey is still awake- not murmuring just observing.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

observations and deep insights into the scriptures like this are going to land you a job as a seminary teacher. Thanks for sharing!

ami said...

Seminary- I already did my time in gospel doctrine for 3 1/2 years! :)

nina said...

This is reminds me of the Ami I met for the very first time, remember how you compared your life to Nephi building a boat? I remember thinking how spiritually powerful you were/ARE. I love ya.
XOXO,
Laman

Taylor said...

Thanks for that...I have decided to try again at reading the Book of Mormon. Your words encouraged me to go get it and start reading!

amber said...

Oh I love you!!!! :)

Torrie said...

Amen to that Darcy. I like to think that's why I was called--because I'm so smart and deep thinking. Or maybe it's because no one else would do it. I still haven't decided...
I'm with you Ami. I love reading the scriptures and finding something new. 1 Nephi 19:23 is one of my new favorite scriptures because every single scripture/story applies to us today and there is always something new to learn.