Friday, May 16, 2008

All in a day's work

Today is Friday. I haven't worked out, at the gym, all week . I feel completely off schedule and anxious. I hate NOT exercising. I am one of those people who seriously need to exercise inorder to release endorphins or I get kind of onery. Anyway....Selina called at 9:00 this morning because Bella had a comb stuck, (well not just stuck but wrapped, wedged, tangled, etc) in her hair. Since our hairdresser goes to the same gym as I do, she was hoping I would relay the hair crisis to her and she could squeeze Bella in for an appointment. I reminded my good, very good friend, who must suffer from short term memory loss, that I was still injured and passing on gym attendance today, as I had done all week. BUT I offered to come over and see if I could help.
I have no idea how Bella manage to tanlge her hair up in such a mess BUT I was able to free her hair from the comb's grasp. I was the hero for the second.
After I saved Bella's hair I headed off to my chiropractor's appointment. On the counter he had displayed salt water taffy- YUMMY! I could eat a whole bag of salt water taffy. After my adjustment I had a piece, or two or three and then gave Quincy and Trey each a piece. Trey has severe food allergies and I am beyond diligent about what goes into his mouth. Salt water taffy- innocent right? just loads and loads of sugar, right? Well Trey had one tiny little piece and on the way home (approx 3 minutes after he ate his taffy)I noticed he was itching like crazy. I couldn't imagine what was in the taffy that would cause a reaction. I thought maybe the taffy contained some butter and he was reacting to that (he's allergic to peanuts, eggs, cats, dogs, dairy and wheat). As soon as we got home I gave him some benedryl and laid him down. 1/2 later, when I went to check on him, I found him still awake, covered in hives from head to toe but breathing fine (thank goodness). I called the chiropractor and got the ingredients of the taffy-only to find out that one of the ingredients was EGG WHITES! Oh my gosh. He's severly allergic to eggs and nuts! I can't believe I didn't ask for the ingredients before I gave him a piece. I gave him more benedryl and debated whether or not to take him to the ER. Since he was breathing fine I didn't think there was anything they could do for him that I hadn't already done. His pediatrician's office was closed for lunch so I called my pharmacist brother and asked his opinion. He advised me wait and give the benedryl a chance to kick in, as long as Trey was breathing fine. The benedryl finally kicked in and now he's asleep in his crib.
I took a pic of his leg- the hives look like that from head to toe. Poor little guy. Lesson learned. I will NEVER give him ANYTHING without verifying the ingredients

1 comment:

Torrie said...

Poor little guy. I'm glad it didn't turn into a major crisis. Hopefully his allergies will get better as he gets older. It's good that you're so diligent because when it comes time to make food choices on his own, he will already be accustomed to his restrictions so he will make the right choice.