Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Toddler Independence








Isn't "toddler independence" an oxymoron? Just kidding. I really love seeing my children grow and exert their independence. I have been blessed with very, very independent, strong willed children. However sometimes our blessings come in disguise, right?


Well, Trey has decided HE needs to use the spoon to feed himself. UGH!!! I usually steer clear of all foods that can't be eaten using fingers, in hopes of reducing the mess factor. For breakfast he feasts on gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, nut free and egg free waffles- there not so bad when you pour lots of syrup over them. For lunch he dines on hotdogs or chicken and a vegetable or fruit that can be cut up and eaten with fingers. Dinner is the same-You catch my drift. Recently I discovered that he loves instant oatmeal. For a while he let me feed it to him which equalled NO MESS. He decided to exert his independence and demands to feed himself. I tried to help but he would have nothing to do with that. He told me, in toddler language, only a mother could decipher, that he would feed himself. He has even imposed distance requirments. If I stand to close he'll start pointing his finger at me and grunting until I retreat far enough. The cleaning is never done anyway so why stop with oatmeal......

1 comment:

Torrie said...

I'm all for making my job easier so if my kids will feed themselves, I will gladly clean up the mess. I can't believe what a big boy Trey is. He has changed so much in such a short time! I guess the haircut has a lot to do with it. Why is it that a haircut on a child makes them look older but certain haircuts on an adult make them look younger?