Monday, May 26, 2008

A day in the Park


Today Selina and I took the kids to the park to feed the ducks. The ducks were hilarious. They would come right up to our feet and hiss at us. C'mon ducks, we're here to feed you. Back up and let us throw some bread your way.....



Reece earned his knife badge in scouts and wanted to bring his pocket knife to the park to whittle sticks. Selina was concerned because she thought other people might feel their safety was being challenged if they saw a boy with a pocket knife. He sat in the shade under a tree away from everyone and noone was bothered by it. The incident did get me thinking. I felt sad that we live in such a violent world that an 8 year old boy can't whittle sticks at the park w/o othere's feeling threatened. I totally agreed with Selina and knew I would be bothered if I saw an 8 year old boy with a pocket knife at the park. So sorry Reece no more whittling at the park- we'll have to save that for home.

We ended the afternoon with snow cones and smiles. All in all it was a great time.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Looks so fun-and such a nice day! I love that your daughter is wearing a Minnie dress!!(My daughter would kill for that:)

ami said...

Hey Angie- We borrowed that dress from our friend Bella (pictured with Quincy)when we went to disneyland in April. Quincy has developed quite an obsession with the dress and Bella is very indulging. I've tried to give it back several times. Just when I think it is safe back with it's rightful owner, Quincy goes to Bella's for a play date and comes home wearing the minnie dress.

Torrie said...

Sounds like a fun day. It's too bad that the world is what it is and that it's almost not surprising anymore to hear of an 8 year old with a knife doing something other than innocently whittling branches. On a different note, I can't believe how much Reece is growing up! I still remember him as the cutest toddler running around the Idaho State Fair in his overalls. They grow up too quickly. Can't wait to see everyone this summer!
(I think it's hilarious that the Minnie dress keeps reappearing despite your best efforts!)

Torrie said...

p.s. Did I mention how great you look? :)

kaughtydid said...

Holy cow! Your blog ROCKS! How do you do it??? It is so cute. How on earth did you get such cute pictures and music to boot??? Hey-I had to change my blog. I couldn't access the one Sarah started. My new blog address is http://themoldandthebeautiful.blogspot.com

Sarah Pearl said...

allright--I'm ready for some new pics! I keep coming here expecting something new. Please don't disappoint me! :) Love your blog, sistah

MZB said...

Share your latest Disney tips I just booked a weeks trip. I usually avoid the summer months, but my son will not miss school and I found some good airfare.