Sunday, May 4, 2008

Going Green


Quinn has always been into recycling. It runs in his family. His brother actually owns a salvage yard in Blackfoot, Idaho. I have never been into recycling. I hate junk ("stuff")! It seems I can't get "stuff" out of the house fast enough. I admit I haven't ever paid attention to where it goes or how it might effect my environment. My main concern is ONLY that it is out of my house. My favorite day of the week is garbage day. Recently I have been trying to do my part in the "going green" campaign. I keep the lights turned off, keep the thermostat down or up, depending on the weather, reuse my water bottles, use glass wear vs. paper products for eating.....and the list goes on and on and on. Oh but I will never stop using disposable diapers- NEVER! So Quinn's latest recycling project is copper and oh something else, i can't remember. He advertises to people that he will take their old computers, then he strips them down and recycles everything he can from them. Last week he made over $500- not too shabby. He is all excited because the price of copper is really high. He has been trying to figure out a way to grow his little recycling habbit into a small business- Mean while I sit back and bite my tongue. Seeing all the "stuff" causes me to have mini panic attacks. My kids are learning to love recycling from their dad. I am totally outnumbered here- but at least I can say we are doing our part. Don't panic when you see the picture of our garage. I have cried many many tears to no avail. Someday I will have a garage that I can actually park my car in. Reece is refusing to help in the recycling fun- he is reading his new book, "Diary of a wimpy kid", at least i think that's the title.

2 comments:

Torrie said...

With Quinn in his camo gear, I could barely see him in all that mess! Looks like he's helping the kids start some good eco-friendly habits.

bethany said...

You should seriously see my grandparents farm. If someone took a match to it the place would be gone in seconds. Trust me, it's not nearly as bad as it could be.